200 Years of History
By R. Richard Willis
In the September issue (Part I Transportation) the Morris
Canal and Ogden Mine Railroad were covered.
By August 1882 the Central Railroad of New Jersey,
had built a line from their High Bridge Terminal into Nolan’s
Point. The Central Railroad then leased the Ogden Line; and
then combined the two lines into one railroad system. In September
1882 passenger service had begun. Ore and ice could now be
transported year round. The Central Railroad also brought
passengers to Minisink, Espanong and Lake Hopatcong Stations.
With rail service to the out side world, many hotels were
built as well as an amusement park at Nolan’s Point.
There was also a gravity railroad in Jefferson
Township, located in an area behind the Lake Forest Yacht
Club. This railroad was used to transport ore to the Lake.
It was formed by two sets of tracks leading down to the Lake,
with a large pulley at the top and two ore cars connected
with a long cable. One car would be empty and one car full.
The full car being heavier than the empty one, it would travel
down to the Lake, the empty one would go up to the top, thus
being refilled with ore and repeating the cycle.
The New York, Susquehanna & Western
was the other railroad that served the upper portion of Jefferson.
Plans had been made for the New York, Susquehanna &Western
to connect at the Ogden (Edison) Mine in Ogdensburg, but this
never happened, but the NYS&W did connect to the Sterling
Hill Mine and took away the Zinc Ore that was being transported
on the Ogden Mine Railroad. The funny part of that railroad
name is “Western” it never got west of the New
Jersey yet the railroad did connect to other railroad lines
to the west.
The Hurdtown Airport:
Jefferson had an airport, it was located on what is now Firemen’s
and Lakeside Fields along Route 15 South in the Hurdtown section.
This airport was a private one used by the Brady Brothers
(Consumer Coal & Ice Company). Eventually air shows and
private flying clubs used this airport.