200 Years of History
By R. Richard Willis
The Lake Hopatcong Citizen’s Improvement Association
was organized in 1913 and there were 52 members. It was formed
strictly for residents of the Nolan’s Point area in
Jefferson Township. The goals, of the Citizens Improvement
Association were to obtain good roads, street light, and sidewalks.
To run from Mt. Arlington to Espanong Village and on to Nolan’s
Point. Also landscaping around the Nolan’s Point School.
The only goal that was ever accomplished was the streetlights,
even if it was only kerosene and maintained by the homeowners.
In addition, a fire department was to be organized, and two
tire rim alarms (the metal tires from a steam train’s
wheel) were secured. One alarm was placed at Nolan’s
Point, on the road in front of Mr. Courtright’s cottage
(near the beginning of Lee’s Ave. and Nolan’s
Point Road); and one was at the corners Stonehenge and Espanong
Roads. The fire department was supposed to consist of a chemical
engine and a fireboat. At the time of a fire, the chemical
engine was attached to the rear of any auto. The fireboat
was supposed to be one of the lake’s steamers that would
have 500 feet of hose and a high-pressure pump, throwing two
streams of water.
The Association’s annual dues were $1.00 a year, per
family. Meetings were to be held the first and third Tuesday
of each month, at the Kenvil Store in Espanong Village, at
8:00 P.M. (Jefferson Lumber Company)
The officers and board of directors for 1913 were as follows:
Mr. George H. Hulmes, President; W. T. Archer, Vice President;
John D. Lauerman, Secretary; Frank R. Crater, Treasurer. The
directors were: Mr. George H. Hulmes, W. T. Archer, J. D.
Lauerman, J. J. Robinson, and Fred H. Buck.