Past Events Archive
Re-enactment of the First Township Meeting, April 9th,
April 7, 2004 at 7 PM, the Jefferson Township Council Chambers/Courtroom
at the Municipal Building at 1033 Weldon Road was transformed
to replicate the first township meeting site held at Widow Hile
Seward’s home on the afternoon of April 9, 1804. At that
time, 200 years ago, John DeCamp, David Hurd, Joseph Hurd, John
Ford, and John P. Losey – members of the first Township
Committee -- signed the charter creating Jefferson Township
from parts of Roxbury Township and Pequannock Township.
The Jefferson Township Bicentennial Committee, in cooperation
with the Jefferson Township Historical Society, recreated
that moment that occurred 200 years ago when the present members
of the 2004 Township Council and the Administration attired
in 19th century costumes arrive at the Municipal Building
by a horse-drawn wagon.
Local musicians Tim and Judy Adrianson performined period
music in the lobby while a Town Crier accompanied the officials
into the meeting room. There, the side wall of the Chambers
was decorated with a backdrop resembling the Seward Tavern,
which had once been located on the Union Turnpike, now Route
15 South. Lanterns and candles lit the room, and township
officials sat at a table to sign a copy of the township charter
using quills dipped into inkwells.
The original township charter received from the New Jersey
Legislature on February 11, 1804, was on display in an enclosed
case in the lobby of the Municipal Building thanks to the
efforts of several people including Bicentennial Committee
member Tom Burns.
Photos from the Event
Click images to enlarge